Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday Night in Boone, North Carolina

This trip would not be the same without the Blue Ridge Parkway. This road started as a rural route in the 1930's. It is beautifully maintained, and offers a most incredible view of the Virginia and North Carolina countryside. The maximum speed is 45 mph, and is used by cars, bicycles and motor cyclists (and scooterists) alike. We are so grateful to have this route as it has not only provided beauty, but also has helped provide safe passage.

So thing morning we left the sleepy town of Sparta after a nice early morning run. Due to the topography, it is virtually impossible to avoid hills, but no pain, no gain. We have hit our stride as a group, and managed to pack up and head out smoothly, like we have been doing this all our lives. Back up on the parkway we started to climb, reaching altitudes of over 3700 feet. The weather is spectacular, and the views magnificent. We are completely surrounded by mountains, rolling hills, and farmland. Tomorrow as we head down to Asheville, we will climb altitudes of close to 5,000 feet. Although we hear weather reports for temperatures in the 90's, we do not experience such heat at the high altitude, it is pleasant and cool.

We are camping out tonight, and have a brook adjacent to our sight. I am listening to the flow of water as I type here, and it is mesmerizing and relaxing. Boone is a relatively big town for this area, and is home to the Appalachian Community College. We took in some mini golf and a movie. It is nice to spend some leisure time with the kids. Jake has done a phenomenal job driving, and backs up the camper like he is a pro. He got some great instruction from his Uncle Andy before we departed Staunton. That seems like a while ago now!

Today Joy received alot of attention from the motorcyclists on the Parkway. People just love that scooter (good job Tim and Cillian for finding it in the first place!!). When I tell folks what we are doing that really get it, and over and over again I am surprised and delighted to see their enthusiasm. Of course, there is no escaping the motto that you can't please all the people all the time. Yesterday, we stopped at a visitor center on the Parkway to check a route to Sparta, and while Betsy was inside, some people came over to the scooter and I explained to them what we were doing. A moment later, I was approached by a lady in uniform (like a park ranger or something) who asked me what I was doing. I told her we had stopped to ask directions, and that I was riding to Atlanta to raise money for breast cancer research. She asked me if I knew that I needed to have a permit to do a fund raiser in a federal park. I told her the fundraiser was doing the ride itself. Now, mind you, I had not asked anyone for money, but she looked like she was itching to write me up for something. Betsy then came out and told me about the suggested route, ignoring the lady as she could see she was being mean. She left us, and I was overcome with sadness, as this was the first time in almost 1300 miles that someone had responded unkindly. Not a minute later a woman walked by on her way in to the center and asked me if I was the one she had seen on TV the night before. She and her husband were so supportive, saying they had both been praying for our safe journey. The two experiences back to back were somewhat emotional.

There are lots of details and stories to tell, more than I could do here in this one sitting. Last night we had dinner and were seated at a table that had a photograph of a hawk hanging above it, I kid you not. I took a picture of it, and will post it tonight. We have had guides and angels, blessings and good fortune all along the way. Mostly because that is what we seek, and so that it what we find.

I have loved this journey, and will miss it when it comes to its end later this week. At the same time, I know this is a journey without end., sending lots of love ............xxoo

No comments: