Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What is Trails for Dale?

The Journey

My name is Barbara Burnes Landry, and I am a breast cancer survivor. In the summer of 2007, I asked my husband for a motor scooter for my 50th birthday. He went to the local motorcycle shop in New Hampshire where we live, and found a scooter beautifully decorated with flowers. My experience in driving the scooter was wonderful, primarily due to the positive response I got from people. Because of the flowers and the “happy” ambiance of the scooter, people always smiled, gave the thumbs up, and just enjoyed seeing the bike. Seeing the happiness it brought truly inspired me, in fact, I have named the scooter “Joy.” Shortly after I got the scooter, my sister in law, Dale Burnes Golinski lost her thirteen-year battle with breast cancer, and passed away on August 9, 2007.

Dale was forty-nine years old and lived in Atlanta, Georgia with her husband Jim, and her daughter Justine and son Matthew. When I returned from her funeral, I got back on my scooter
knowing Dale was right there with me. One day when I was riding with Dale, the idea struck me to ride my scooter from Amherst, New Hampshire to Atlanta, Georgia in Dale’s honor.

Dale’s example and courage have inspired me to carry out this vision with unwavering commitment. I am joined and supported by my family members who will accompany me
and participate in this event. It is our plan to leave Amherst, NH on July 17, 2008 and
arrive in Atlanta, GA on August 9, 2008 (the one-year anniversary of Dale’s death). We have named the journey “Trails for Dale.” We intend to travel primarily through back
roads, going from town to town to tell Dale’s story, and garner support for breast cancer research. We will blog our progress, please follow along, and be a part of this collaborative
effort to move closer to a cure for this disease.

Won’t you join us our journey?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Barbara,
Hey, it's Terry April (Alex's mom). I saw your story in the Cabinet a few weeks ago and meant to contact you back then, but kept putting it off. I just saw you on the news - I believe you started your trip today. I don't know if you're aware of it, but I, too am a breast cancer survivor. I wish you the best of luck and admire your outlook on life. Happy Trails - Be safe!
Terry