Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Between a Hawk and a Heart Place

A play on words, yes, but the phrase came to me in response to a profound experience that I had the other day. Some of us believe that the physical world provides cues and suggestions that speak to our conscious and subconscious mind. Sometimes these can be in the form of a person, a song, or even an animal. The Native Americans speak of "totems", animals that we may identify with strongly, whose attributes mirror our own, or inspire us to move in a particular direction or path. I have always had a strong identification with the hawk. Within days of Dale's death, I found myself standing within several feet of one as it sat quietly in a field, bathed in the early morning sunlight. Since that time, barely a day goes by without seeing a hawk, sometimes swooping across the road while on my scooter, or enjoying a meal while perched on a telephone pole above me. Most recently I had yet another sacred encounter. It followed after having spent this past weekend in a yoga teacher training (thank you YogaFit!!!). Upon my return home, my husband and I seized the opportunity to fly our little nylon kites at the local school field. It was about 5:30 in the evening, the sun shining, the sky blue, the breeze gently blowing. We were first jointed by a blue heron making his way above us (another of my totems!). Soon after a red tailed hawk circled above. The hawk soon landed on the nearby telephone pole, content to stay perched there in the late day sun. As we prepared to leave, winding our kite strings, I saw the moon had come up, and reminded Tim that when it was full, it would be time to leave on the Trails for Dale Journey. Tim left before me, having come in the car, and me on my scooter. After he was gone, I was left there in the field, sun on one side, moon on the other, and hawk still perched in front of me on the telephone pole. At that moment I realized that the world had come into perfect balance. I stood on the field of green, facing the sky of blue, with the breeze gently blowing around me, the sun in my right hand and the moon in my left. As I lifted my face to the sky, opening my heart to the Universe, I realized the hawk was still there in front of me, in my heart. The balance and synchronicity of this experience is because of the fact that this entire journey comes from the Heart. When we come from that place, the Universe comes into balance, and everything falls into perfect place. I hope that each of you find your heart's desire, and all the magic that it will bring. Sat Nam.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Dear Barbara,

I came across your story on a motorcycle forum that I am a member of. Your trip is an inspiration to a lot of people and several of the forum members would like to know if they could ride along with.

I tried searching for an itinerary, but to no avail. If you would like the company, I know several of them would tag along.

Here is the link to the post I saw regarding your trip: http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65482

Regrettably I am in Arizona, or else I too would like to join the ride. Best of luck, and keep the shiny side up.

Aaron