Saturday, July 5, 2008

Reflections on Joy and Hope

We have all heard about things "taking on a life of their own." This has certainly happened with Trails for Dale, and it has become something bigger and more meaningful than I could possibly have hoped. I say this for a number of reasons; not the least of which is the heartwarming and genuine positive feedback I receive from people about this journey. After all, isn't that what we really want from the people around us? We want to know that the things that motivate and are important to us are also valued by others. I believe we call this validation. This is particularly true when we go out on a limb and pursue those things that we feel most passionate about. We wear out hearts on our sleeves and "hope" that the world doesn't think us insane. Well I am here to tell you that when we come from that place, our genuine impulse, that is where we are most sane and purposeful. This has been proven through my experience in life many times, but never like this. It is beyond the use of words to explain.
This past week I started to experience fear and uncertainty about the trip, especially when we had intense rain, lightning and hail storms (the worst of which when I was at the bike shop picking up my scooter). Was it a sign? Should I rethink? Am I insane? My bike was having technical difficulties, again reconsider? NO!!!!! Hold fast to the vision. So when it was questionable if my bike would make it I had options. One was to get a new bike and transfer the unique body of my bike on to the new bike. The new bike a Schwinn Hope bike. The one that Schwinn markets and donates some of the proceeds to breast cancer research. It was where Hope met Joy, and now the two have become One. How perfect that all is, for what is Joy without Hope. What is impulse and inspiration without the Hope, the leap of faith, that following our Joy will lead us to the right place..............and so it has.
The icing on the cake.....The Nashua Telegraph, Andrew Wolfe to be precise, has written a wonderful article about the Journey.........please check it out at http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080705/NEWS01/187593625. Please find your Joy and maintain your Hope and all will be revealed!!!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Barbara, it was great to read the story about you and I wish you all the best of luck on your ride. I hope you'll send a photo of you and your scooter for me to post on my site, http://www.scootpink.com, and I'll include a link to your site and your fundraising link. I have an upcoming post on Scootin' for a Cure, which is also to benefit breast cancer research. best, Crystal

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara,

I tried to send an e-mail wanting to wish you a Happy Birthday and they both came back to me, so I did a Google search looking for you and this is what I found! Wow, you and your family must be enjoying this experience. Wishing you and your family nothing but the best as always!
Bernice