Monday, July 28, 2008

They Traveled in One Day What it Took Us 12 Days to Do!!!

At 4:00 am this morning, my son, daughter, aunt and Dad left Massachusetts to meet us here in Staunton, VA. Mom, Andy and I left New Market via Sky Line Drive, and we all arrived in Stauton within minutes of each other at about 3:30 this afternoon. Grandpa and company had traveled in less than one day what it has taken my Mom and I twelve days to do.

It is time again for another changing of the guard. My Mom will be leaving the crew tomorrow morning, as will my brother. The time that Andy, Mom and I have spent over the last four days, is unlike any other time we have ever spent together. The combination of interdependence, enjoying one another's company, and unity of purpose, created a dynamic of interpersonal relationship beyond compare. I have always admired my mother, however, after this time spent I know I will never see her quite the same way again. Her dedication to this journey, without complaint, and with her best foot forward could not go unnoticed. I am so grateful that my Mom was willing to show her level of commitment to this effort and to me in such a loving and generous way. I will miss her terribly, but also look forward to all we will share in the future when I return home.

Andy is also leaving to return home in the morning. His contribution to our journey, not only with his mechanical expertise (changing the oil in the scoot, and tuning it so that it runs better than ever) but his enthusiasm and unconditional support have been one of the greatest gifts he has ever given to me. I hope that what he leaves with from having had this experience, is at least equal to the significant contribution that he made in making this journey so much more than I could have hoped for.

But I would be completely remiss if I did not acknowledge the sacrifices and significant contribution made by my Dad, Alan Paster, in this undertaking. Not only was he apart from his greatest love (my mom) for twelve days, but he also assisted Betsy in her transportation from the airport, drove Betsy the kids down here today, and also has been telling all who will listen about Trails for Dale, and raising money for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. We have said this is a team effort, and Grandpa is one of our All Star Players!! Thank you Grandpa!!

So tomorrow another chapter begins, as I continue this journey with Betsy, Jake and Liza. We are off the Buchanan, VA by way of Lexington, and will tell you all about it tomorrow. With love to all.......

1 comment:

AlexH said...

HI BARBARA, YOU R AMAZING!!! YOU & "JOY" HAVE ACCCOMPLISHED SO MUCH. I'M SURE DALE IS WATCHING OVER EVERY MILE OF YOUR JOURNEY.

WISHING YOU SUNNY DAYS, FRIENDLY SMILES FROM THOSE YOU MEET, AND RESTFUL EVENINGS.

LOVE, PEACE & NAMASTE,
LAURA HUGHES :)