Sunday, July 27, 2008

In The Shenandoah Valley the Caverns are Endless

Hello everyone, this is Barbara here, I have asked to go first on the blog tonight. Most of you have probably figured out that I am big on metaphors. In fact I believe that just about every thing that physically exists can be used as a metaphor for existence itself. For example, we started out this morning looking at the map. We knew generally where we wanted to be. We targeted the area and then we started to work on the details. We found a campsite close to the area we had targeted in the Shenandoah Valley between Winchester, VA and Staunton, VA. The name of the place is Endless Caverns. We were able to secure a campsite there, and we packed up and headed out on Route 11 from Winchester to head to New Market and Endless Caverns. When we first left Winchester the road was busy, lots of stores and some traffic. After some of the beautiful rides we have had over the past 11 days, this area paled in comparison. Slowly the road began to open up and the beauty of the Shenandoah Valley unfolded in front of us. In ten mile increments we made our way to New Market. It is incredibly beautiful. We made the turn into the campground and the landscape was breathtaking, we could not believe it. When we pulled up we saw an outstanding view, first rate facilities (the showers are tiled, but I am sure you will hear that from Mom) Anyway, it exceeded our expectations.

This area is known for its caverns, and this property has its own. We took an hour and a half tour of the Endless Caverns, as they call them, and it was quite an extraordinary experience to be in these caves. Mom, Andy and I continue to marvel at the synergy that exists between us. The creation of Trails for Dale has allowed us to share in an experience that is beyond anything we would have expected.

So what does this have to do with metaphors? Life unfolds. We can choose a general direction, work out the course, and set out on the journey. When you enter the caverns it is dark, even cold, but the beauty that unfolds is indescribable.

I must pass on the laptop.............know that I love and appreciate you all.

Hi All........
Notes from Mama Loey on day eleven of this momentous experience that continues to fill
us with awe and gratitude for this opportunity to pay honor to Dale, raise funds for breast
cancer research and at the same time get to see these quaint and architectureally crafted
small towns and villages that dot the countryside of route 11 in Virginia. I look out on the
very majestic mountain ranges that stand tall and wrap themselves along these routes, almost
blanketing and protecting us from fierce elements. Several times today it looked like storm
clouds were heading our way, only to be swept away by the wind and leaving the billowy fair weather ones that delivered loads of sunshine and a sunset to end all sunsets. My thought for this day is that the mountains are indeed a most majestic sight, yet the man made majesty of these byways can be felt and seen in the modest, well manicured homes of the working folks of these small communities; their houses of worship, their schools, the quircky shops that display hand-crafted wares and tons of "yard sales" that have become a week-end endeavor that allows us to transfer the "stuff" that according to George Carlin is so much a part of our culture. I want to say that this is their America...........I reconsider................this is indeed OUR AMERICA!

But the most sobering thoughts come to mind when mile after mile we see memorials that pay tribute to those tens of thousands of Civil War Heroes whose blood was spilled along these bucolic farm lands. And I sadly but clearly realize the price we pay for OUR AMERICA.

Andy says: For those who do not know Dale was my wife. She was also my teacher. She saw past all of my bravado and false confidence and demonstrated to me the meaning of true courage - long before she became ill. I spent many years thinking that all of the information I had amassed and shared with her, some of which was offered merely to be considered smart or well informed, created a paradigm where it was I who taught her. In retrospect this was never the case. It was actually her allowance of this consideration. I read a letter that Jim Golinski had written to Barbara about her desire to engineer this trip and he talked about how every one is an angel in some manner, sent to earth to guide another toward rightousness. I realized, after reading his simple wisdom, how Dale was my angel. Imagine the fear and uncertainty that one faced with stage four cancer operates with every day. Can you? During that time Dale was focused on the healing of those she loved, rather than what would happen to her. It was she who offered comfort and reassurance, and demanded none for herself. It was she who suffered the pain and rigors of her treatment while perserving her indominable dignity. It was she who feared not death, but the inability to hold her children close in this world. I am a man who is sometimes paralized with my fears, unable to push past all that has been lost, unable to find the optimism to fuel my reconstructive energies. But the lesson that Dale has left for me, her legacy that I value more than any other gift I have received, is the lesson of courage. This lesson has been reinforced by my wise Mother and my most insightful Sister on this special journey of Honor, on this journey of discovery, that to feel gratitude for this day, this moment, no matter the circumstance, it the true lesson of courage. For this I awareness I am grateful, and for my gratitude...I am courageous.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Hi Barbara
Becky and Kathy here from back in Nashua, We've been following your blog and can't wait day to day to read your achievements and you getting closer and closer to your goal we are truely so inspired by you and your jurney. We wanted to wish you and your family well and lots of luck with Joy that she will souly and proudly get you to your destination. Good luck and be safe and enjoy your jurney.
God bless to you and yours,
Becky and Kathy
P.S. Pete from the court house says Hi :)