Monday, July 21, 2008

A Message From Barb's Mom / Day Five

Hello all you folks who are following us through our most meaningful, once in a lifetime, journey
through the backroads of the trail that started in Amherst, New Hampshire and finds us at the
end of day five at the Panther Lake Camp Grounds in Andover, New Jersey.

This is Mamma Loey (Barbara's mom), the official driver taking front left position next to Aunt Betsy, the official navigator. That being said, we are learning that there are no officers in this
army of very bonded women honoring another woman who's life we celebrate every moment
of every mile.

Speaking of the bonds of support that bind us, try this on for size. Barbara was the lead vehicle as we arrived at our camp grounds this afternoon. She was greeted at the gate by a lady
and I saw her jumping up and down with excitement as two "campers" (so I thought) hugged
and kissed her and jumped along with her. "What is this?," I thought, some teenage campers
being emotional and silly? No, it was my sister Joan and my niece Melissa, being the kind of
relatives you want on your team. They drove from Long Island and Hoboken to rendezvous
with us, shower us with hugs and kisses, and with those loving arms, validated our faith in
what this venture means to a lot more people than we ever could imagine. Thank you Joanie
and Meliss from the bottom of my heart. You are generous, adorable, and always there for me
and mine.

It was the culmination of a perfect day. Billowing clouds, state parks of the most beautiful magnitude; hills, hills,and more hills; lakes, lakes, and more lakes! All validating the beauty
of this marvelous country and its freedoms, and filling me to the brim with gratitude for
being here and reverence for the purpose of our journey.

But I do miss my Sweetheart, and those of you who know me, know that to be a fact!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

It was so amazing seeing you guys- you really are quite a team! You are such an inspiration to me and so many countless others. Seeing first hand what you are experiencing, from mapping the routes, dealing with the "bumps in the road" along the way, setting up camp (that camper rocks!) was really incredible and made me realize the enormity and majesty and depth of what you are accomplishing along your journey. I hope you are as proud of yourselves as we are of you! Love and hugs xoxoxoxox Meliss :)

Big Daddy said...

Lois
Your Sweetheart misses you very much. 5 down & 6 to go.
You Ladies are Amazing but I always knew that.
Travel safely.
Love Alan