Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Like a Wheel in a Wheel

This will have to be short. We are camping near Johnson State Park in Buchanan, VA. we are in a relatively remote area, and I am huddled close to the office building where there is wi fi reception. It is almost ten at night, and it has taken at least twenty minutes for the blog site to come up. The night sounds are getting louder, and underneath it all I am a scaredy cat !!

This morning we said good by to Andy and Mom. It was hard. My Mom's parting words to me were "I got to be with my children, and now it is time for you to be with yours. " She could not have been more correct. Today was all about being with my children (and my Auntie Betsy). What made it particularly poignant was the fact that Jake was at the helm. Which is a good time to mention the fact that when I was singing Grandpa's praises yesterday, I failed to mention that Jake drove 600 miles to get here yesterday.

Sometimes there are people who are so steady, constant and reliable, that we don't even really notice the level of their accomplishments. Jake is that way. His quiet perseverance belies the amount of effort surrounding it. I admire his level way, and see that he is now a man, who will be 18 on the seventh of next month. Liza is right there beside him as the nonchalant sage, spouting common sense and insight as though it was as ordinary as apple pie and ice cream. I love them both dearly, and so did Dale. In fact, after what would be our last visit, Dale left me a voicemail, which I still have, in which she said "tell the children that I loved, loved, loved seeing them" I am proud that they are part of this effort to pay tribute to her memory.

We rode an unbelievable ( I know my adjectives are redundant, but it is so beautiful here ) back road from Staunton to Lexington, VA, and then on to this campground. We made a campfire, and even toasted marshmallows.

I will quickly post some pics, but may have to finish tomorrow. I am mindful of the cycle of life, I felt young and childlike when with my Mom, now that I am with my children, I feel less youthful and more in touch with the fact that they are ready to take the lead on our future. And so it goes...........all my love.....xxoo

No comments: