Thursday, July 31, 2008

Early Morning Rant

It is about 6:30 in the morning here in Roanoke, and as we get ready to head out to Floyd, I anticipate come challenges in finding Internet access. I thought I would post today's blog now. Can you believe that it was two weeks ago today that we left Amherst, NH? And in one week's time, we will be pulling into Atlanta!! We have been through New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia so far!!! Mother nature has been generous, and we have enjoyed perfect weather. It looks like that is going to continue. We have seen the byways of this land, rather than the highways, and experienced more beauty than we realized exists right here in the back yard of our wonderful country. We have experienced the importance of relationship, exercising patience, tolerance, and teamwork. We have laughed, cried, pouted, and been teed off. We have felt our own pain, and witnessed the pain of others. We have carried Dale in our hearts, and relied on her strength, as she showed us. to get through some of the more challenging times.

For me personally, I have been blown away by the incredible generosity and support that I have received from my family on this journey. The sacrifice of time, energy and strength given by my mother, my brother, Betsy and my children has been monumental (not to mention all the others back home, and yes Tim that means you too!!) What is most significant is the fact that they made this journey not just out of love for Dale, but for the reason that they wanted to support me in this dream, and helping to make it come true. And indeed they have. For that I thank them all, and will always be grateful.

What has also been so moving are the folks we have met along the way, who dig into their pockets and pull out a dollar or two to donate because they are so moved by what we are doing. These contributions, and their support are as important to us as any we have received. We are all capable of giving, and when we do, we receive so much in the process. Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this journey, regardless of the manner or degree in which that contribution has taken place. Which is a good time to mention cousin Melissa's contribution (in addition to the monetary one) of the music she compiled for us on the trip. Since I am rarely in the van, I have not had the opportunity to listen much, but the other day I listened to one of my favorite Indigo Girl songs, and it was awesome. Thank you Melissa, and your comments on the blog are so loving, and supportive. We love you girl!!!

There is so much more I could say, like the day the beetle crawled up my knickers on the ride to Lexington, and I had to pinch it with one hand to keep it from going any higher, while I stopped the bike and shook out my shorts in the middle of who knows where! And so on, and so on....but I think I will stop here, post some more random pictures and say goodbye for now.

We are heading up on the parkway today, and the next few days we are in small towns, until we come out the other end in Asheville, North Carolina. So I will do my best to keep up the blog, but know if I don't it is not for a lack of trying.......Love, love, love to you all!!!! xx0000

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nd thank you for Jim's birthday song (he has saved it on the phone) and for the best wishes on the 26th.. With all you have to think about you are so thoughtful to havre thought of us. -- J and J